NEED TO SHARE FILES WITH A CUSTOMER OR BUSINESS PARTNER AND WANT TO ASSURE THAT NO ONE ELSE CAN READ OR INTERCEPT?
Our end-to-end encryption (E2EE) plugin for ownCloud increases the security standard for all the files you want to share.
The encryption happens exactly where it should be: on the machine of the sender and the recipient. Any other security layer in between (SSL, ownCloud server encryption, firewalls) becomes secondary.
The E2EE plug-in encrypts your data before it leaves the computer and decrypting happens at the recipients. The infrastructure (Lan, ownCloudServer, …) is only used as a data turnstile.
Not even an administrator of the storage server nor other third parties who might have access to the infrastructure or any backups can read data you sent.
The E2EE plug-in working in combination with an ownCloud server offers unlimited sharing of all file types and sizes while sending data end-to-end encrypted from A to B.
It is the safest and easiest way to send encrypted files between two or more people.
ADVANTAGES FOR USERS AND COMPANIES?
- E2EE for ownCloud creates an extra layer of security for all companies and persons working with sensitive and personal data or who want to securely exchange data with third parties.
- E2EE ensures that data can only be read by the intended recipient(s)
- This methodology delivers protection against ‘man-in-the-middle attack’ (MITM) or unintended access through server backups
- Support for AES256 and RSA2048 encryption standards
- Neither the sender nor the recipient need special software on their computer. All features are handled by the web browser (Edge, Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera).
- Due to the hybrid encryption method, no special fee-based certificates (like with https) are required. The public keys are handled by the ownCloud server.
- With the ownCloud guest plugin, a previously invited recipient can also deliver encrypted files to the sender.
- Users who receive E2EE-encrypted data outside the licensed organization do not need an additional license.
HOW DOES E2EE FOR OWNCLOUD WORK?
- The E2EE plugin is installed on the ownCloud server
- The sender shares a file with the ownCloud web-ui or uses our Outlook plug-in.
- The ownCloud server checks whether the receiver is already known
- In the case of a new recipient, the latter is invited to join the environment
- The recipient registers on the ownCloud server, where a key pair is generated (2048 bit RSA)
- The public key is stored on the ownCloud server, the private key remains on the receiver’s computer (it can be backed up and restored at any time).
- The file to be sent is encrypted (256-bit AES) and loaded onto the server
- The recipient receives an e-mail with the link to his file and can download it with his web browser